HISTORY OF THE SOCIETY
The Richmond and Twickenham Photographic Society is one of the oldest Photographic Societies in the country, having been formed in 1890, as the Richmond Amateur Photographic Society. The name was changed to Richmond Camera Club in 1893, to reflect the fact that the membership included professionals as well as amateurs. Between 1900 and 1915, a regular annual exhibition was held, with it resuming in 1920 and continuing every year since, with the exception of 1943.The Club amalgamated with the Twickenham Photographic Society in 1946, with the Society finally settling on its present title in 1965.
Five of the Society's Members have become Presidents of the Royal Photographic Society and many of our members are Licenciates, Associates or Fellows of the Royal Photographic Society, also holding other photographic distinctions. We are also members of the Surrey Photographic Association (SPA) and through them, are affiliated to the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain (PAGB).
We also regularly participate in PAGB and SPA events and competitions and links to these and other associations can be
found on our Links page.
Presidents of the Richmond & Twickenham Photographic Society
Founded in 1951 by the amalgamation of the Richmond Camera Club (founded 1890) and the Twickenham Photographic Society (founded 1938)
* indicates past president of the Royal Photographic Society
Compiled from research by M. Gatter, D. White, R. Charnock and L. Viner-Caudrey
Last modified: 18 July 2014 12:36 CDT
© Copyright Richmond & Twickenham Photographic Society 2017